MisCon 32 is right around the corner. I’m scheduled as a panelist and attending pro. My schedule is at the bottom of this post.
I’ll be talking worldbuilding, weapons, and violence, three subjects dear to my heart, so it should be a good time. Also, it appears that a lot of old friends from cons long past will be there. There are bourbons to be downed and stories to be caught up on. The organizers have done a hell of a thing overall. I’ve never been to MisCon, but it looks magnificent.
Highlights for me at MisCon include a reading from The New Magic on Saturday the 26th at 3 PM, and a worldbuilding panel with Brandon Sanderson (the MisCon 32 Guest of Honor) on Saturday at 6 PM.
It’s pretty much every worldbuilder’s dream to have a chance to shuck and jive with Brandon Sanderson. It’s a tremendous honor to be included on this panel, and it’s high in the running for the coolest thing that has yet happened to me as an author.
On Sunday I’ll be doing a Q&A along with Eric Scott Fischl and John Olsen. If you’re in the area, that would be a great time to catch up and ask me any questions you may have, try and trip me up into giving you the location of the portal to Falconsrealm, whatever. Also, if you’ve read Eric’s occult-horror-western Dr. Potter’s Medicine Show, you know that a Q&A involving him should be amazing. If you haven’t read it, read it, and then come ask him stuff.
In other news, ARCs of The New Magic are in final preparation. There are short excerpts and quotes on my Instagram page. It should be up for pre-order shortly.
I hope to see you there. Come up and say hi.
My complete schedule follows. There’s also a link to it here.
- Fri 5:00 – 5:50 PM, Sensing Violence, Ballroom C
Moderator: Rory Miller; Panelists: Elliott Kay, Joseph Malik, Rory Miller, John Olsen
- What does violence sound like? Smell like? How does it feel and taste? Are the details of violence like those we see in movies? If not, should you write them realistically or cinematically?
- Sat 3:00 – 3:50 PM, Author Readings: Malik, Ellsworth, Yellowstone
Panelists: Spencer G. Ellsworth, Joseph Malik
- Join our authors as they read from their latest works! (25 minutes a piece)
- Sat 6:00 – 6:50 PM, Creating Interesting Nations, Dragon Pavilion (1)
Moderator: Brandon Sanderson; Panelists: James Glass, Jason A. Holt, Joseph Malik, Lee Moyer, Brandon Sanderson
- We talk a lot about worldbuilding but what about the smaller-scale stuff like nations and nationstates? How can you build a new and unique nation for your story? How can you incorporate politics and culture and national identity in interesting ways? And, finally, how do you connect the characters to this nation?
- Sun 10:00 – 10:50 AM, Spotlight: Olsen, Malik, Fischl, Spotlight
Panelists: Eric Scott Fischl, Joseph Malik, John Olsen
- Meet a few of our authors, get signatures, and see what they’re up to these days.
- Sun 11:00 – 11:50 AM, Weapons Reality for Authors, Patio Tent (1)
Moderator: Larry Bonham; Panelists: Larry Bonham, Joseph Malik, Alyson Peterson, D.L Solum
- Why a “.45” doesn’t have 45 shots and other weapons cliches that destroy your story’s credibility.